10/22/2013

Peter Peter Pumpkin-Eater


Why couldn't Peter keep his wife?


As a child I loved the alliteration and the little red-haired girl in the pumpkin. Then I grew up and got all righteous and offended about husbands keeping wives locked up in pumpkins.

This Halloween season I'm seeing it in a new light. Maybe Peter had the eye-burning pumpkin farts and his little red-haired wife banished him from their pumpkin house.




Bulldogs and pumpkins and gas, oh my!  I don't know if feeding dogs canned pumpkin puree really aids digestion or prevents constipation and diarrhea. My son says his English bulldog puppy has ghastly ghostly toxic pumpkin gas. Otherwise, she's a very nice puppy and smart as a whip.


After I carved this little house for today's art class I gave the composting worms some pumpkin. Sure hope they don't get gassy! It could get difficult to live together in this little crooked house.










Mr. Short Stack was getting sweet potatoes out of the kitchen cupboard when we had our Sunday Skype. I was flooded with memories of my sons finding baking  potatoes, sometimes throwing them, or pretend cooking them in the pots and pans. Vague memories, too, of a story about a Sweet Patootie Doll in my childhood. The book by Mary Calhoun and illustrated by Roger Duvoisin was published in 1957, but I wonder if it appeared first in Humpty Dumpty Magazine.




© 2013 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love your carved pumpkin house and your gas theory.

Collagemama said...

Thanks, Kathleen!