4/18/2015

Overnight Asparagus Strata

Breakfast served 24 hours

Lovely Friday evening putting together a cheese strata, and watching pinkish lightning to the west. Cheese strata is a sedimentary casserole. Are there igneous and metamorphic casseroles? It's been a long week, and I can't get my head around these possibilities.

"Can I borrow some rocks with sedimentary layers? The water educator from a nearby town needed loaner rocks from all the casserole categories. That's when the cheese strata took over all the layers in my brain.


Back in my hairnet hospital kitchen days we served up Mrs. Carey's cheese strata on patient trays along with red jello cubes and whipped cream, Sanka, canned pear halves, and broth.

As a newlywed beginner cook I had a recipe for Asparagus Cheese Casserole from the 7th Day Adventists at Lincoln's Union College. It was cut out of the newspaper and glued on a yellow lined index card. If I squint I can almost remember the amounts of eggs, frozen cut asparagus, cottage cheese, condensed milk, dry bread cubes, and grated cheddar. Those were the days before recipe googling!

Difficult to believe California vineyards used to snail mail slick newsletters with family recipes. I forgot Sebastiani Vineyards long ago, but still have Vicki Sebastiani's "Christmas Breakfast" strata recipe.  The combination of raisin bread, dry mustard, bacon, cheddar and eggnog is delicious.

Asparagus and April go together. The strata rested overnight and is in the 375 degrees oven, smelling fabulous.


© 2013-2015 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Collagemama said...

Seana,
The Christmas Breakfast recipe is really good. I accidentally deleted your comment instead of deleting the email notification. Oops. Should have had coffee first.

Kathleen said...

I've seen asparagus in the stores. I'm hoping it's coming up in my parents' asparagus patch.

seana graham said...

That's fine,Nancy. It has never been my dream to be immortalized through my blog comments.