6/11/2013

Kirkus Kix

"...the tale sags as it lumbers toward its foreordained conclusion."  

Dang, don't we all!  This aging business is ugly. While having a realistic view of mortality is useful, and occasionally motivating, sagging and lumbering are not what we look for in summer fiction. A visit to any beach has enough realistic sagging, so bring on the light summer read.

I get a kick out of Kirkus Reviews, the karate chop of book reviews. The quote above comes from the June first, 2013 issue. If I told you what book was being reviewed, I would have to take you out with a flying roundhouse kick.

Tomorrow I'm brunching with a friend who reads and rates obituaries for style, clarity, occasional humor, sincerity and form. Her tales' sagging and lumbering make my book review addiction seem upbeat.

Visited my former neighbor at the nursing/rehab home on D-Day. This WWII vet will be ninety in July. I'm afraid he is fighting vainly the old ennui, staring at the muted t.v. and wondering if there will be a ballgame on. Cole Porter was not really writing a song about life in long-term care facilities, but there's truly no kick to be gotten there. Walking back to my car, the rain hid tears I could never cry for my own WWII vet dad trapped in long-term ennui.

en-nui n. Listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from lack of interest; boredom.

When all we baby boomers hit the long-term care age, facilities could use the Kix slogan for advertising.

 Kid Tested, Mother Approved


Before you sag, lumber, or maybe shuffle off to bed, I leave you with Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter's "I Get a Kick Out of You" and this simply splendid elephant pajama costume.


© 2013 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kim said...

Aye Captain Kirkus.