9/02/2013

Cosmic dust


Star light
Star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight







I see the moon
The moon sees me
The moon sees the one I want to see
God bless the moon and
God bless me and
God bless the one I want to see


Dust coats the skylight
Scraped and strewn by Dad's drill inside
Dropped from stars to the surface outside
Nature abhors a vacuum cleaner with very long attachments



Mr. Short Stack went to the coast
and brought home a lot of sand
The octopus was napping
The potty chair is not a hat




Rocking on the crescent moon
Rocking under the full moon
Spooned mooned
Cupped cuddled in the yellow rocker



Nightmare of my mother rocking
Worried wondering where I am
Her blueberry dessert for bridge club
Fingers too fat to push the cell phone buttons
Always too fat for 911



I do not know her number
Her phone is not turned on
She would not like that flocked wallpaper


The empty mall open so late
for haircuts manicures even though 
the blizzard swirls outside Sears
Still in dreams Dad needs a walker


My car is buried in a drift
The acrobats do not have a way home
Her yellow leather jacket misses its button





© 2013 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Whoa. Many moods, much delight, and I'm a little scared and sad by the end. But then...nostalgic.

(On the other hand, have you been breathing the fumes in my basement/on my patio...?!)

Collagemama said...

When I finally tried on my mother's very well worn yellow leather jacket it was about a size four and I was not!