12/30/2015

Library Life List

Tornado sirens sounded just as we were leaving work at the library Saturday evening trapping us for two hours with gobs of holiday candies, multiple computers for tracking weather radar and warnings, and a bag of clementines. Attempt to drive home or not? Thankfully there were no library patrons. That would be a huge responsibility.

Sad to say, the storm fatalities were almost all persons in vehicles. Similar reports come from the St. Louis flooding. The fatalities are mostly persons in vehicles. It's a tragic reminder that our cars are not the personal insulated safe pods we often assume.

Libraries are good places to be trapped. I used to make mental lists of the five books I would want with me if marooned on a desert island. Aha! Imagine being marooned on an island with a library instead.

These are photos of the Dr. Eugene Clark Library in Lockhart, Texas. Besides having the oldest continually operating library in the state of Texas, Lockhart has the title "Barbecue Capital of Texas (therefore of the world)". My library life list is now at seventy-four.

1899 construction cost $6000.00

Stained glass for book lovers!

One of the fan windows from the inside.

Cute couple celebrating their engagement.

Building on right houses most of collection.

The library telescope!

Smitty's Barbecue--my eyes are still smoky!

That's all, folks! I'm off to my desert island.


© 2013-2015 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

seana graham said...

I'm glad you chose the library over the car, Nancy.

Collagemama said...

Thanks! The Lockhart library is not the place I work, although my library is also very cute.

Kathleen said...

So glad you are safe!!