6/16/2016

Target with the Dalai Lama; commutin' with Putin

Groovy plastic lid slide-out under-shelf drawer from Target

 The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is a hot title at the library No, I've not read it. My life-changing reorganization was inspired by my son's small, well-arranged kitchen, and a chance meeting with His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama was streaming live on my day off, explaining that change and peace will come from serious, continuous action, and then a little prayer. He said the diverse religions on this small planet are like a well-stocked supermarket. If there was only one religion there would be few customers in the supermarket. Education, connections with others, and compassion within ourselves are key to transforming the world in which the Orlando attack had just happened. He spoke of the importance of young persons and women in this effort.

The Dalai Lama has a delight-filled childlike sense of humor, and when I left for Target he seemed to be riding shotgun in the Buick and chuckling softly, his maroon robe flapping by the open window.  Emanating compassion and positive energy, he did not view my belated spring cleaning effort as a tiny pebble in a big stagnant pool of grime, but considered the organizing products with curiosity and wonder. When I got back to the apartment,  the Dalai Lama was not with me. I bet I lost him in the musical greeting card aisle, opening and closing the cards. Had to carry up the bags all by myself.

Another imaginary passenger, bobble-head Vladimir Putin rides on the dash instead of shotgun. If you need a powerful, absorbing audiobook for long commutes or a road trip, check out Red Notice, by Bill Browder.  Although the book came out in 2015, it's leading the nonfiction category for the next Coveted Nancy Awards.


Now, as often happens when I write, memories of my dad surface. This time it's his fondness for spiritual parodies.

Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.

© 2013-2016 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: