1/04/2018

Modern dance in the workplace

Caught. Snagged. Hook, line, and sweater. Whirling dervish with hanging file folder.

Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga


In a Duchamp-Meets-Circulation-Desk moment my attempted sneak behind a coworker resulted in a close brush with a hanging file folder on the counter. Next I knew, the folder was hooked on my sweater and spilling papers as I spun to untangle myself. At least I was clothed, unlike the nude on the staircase.

Laughter is good medicine and even an adhesive for workers still forming a cooperative relationship. Too bad we don't have a slow-mo to replay at staff meetings.



Laughter contagiously forms social bonds. The endorphin effect described above also explains why social laughter is so contagious. Spreading endorphin release through groups promotes a sense of togetherness and safety. Each brain in a social unit is a transmitter of those feelings, which triggers the feel-goods in other brains via laughter. It’s like a game of endorphin dominoes. That’s why when someone starts laughing, others will laugh even if they’re not sure what everyone is laughing about.




This time of year I remember my dad's first positive comment after Mom died: "I'll never have to watch ice skating again." Dad would have enjoyed lightly belittling my graceless performance. Perhaps tomorrow I'll move through the library with effortless elegance, but don't hold your breath.

© 2013-2017 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: