4/13/2020

Self-quarantined for bad attitude

The wind picked up while I was on one of my Easter family Skype sessions, but the real chiller blasts hit in the middle of the night. Beer cans kept rolling and rattling around the parking lot. Of course, I had a coughing attack and sore throat, signalling the end. Back to sleep, one of the smoke detectors had a freak-out for no reason.

I was still staring at the cup of blah coffee when the maintenance guy left the note on my door. A person in our apartment community ... quarantined ... proximity... wash hands. Oh, crap. Even though my sinuses were protesting the forty degree temperature drop, I clearly needed to get out in the sun on what was likely to be my last day. AND I hope I cough as LOUD as the couple upstairs tromps in their apartment!


Texas bluebonnets helped some, as did a Coke from Sonic, but my grumpiness was still high as my temp was sub-normal. 

Back home I managed to reread the apartment notice. "...a member of our community has been directed to self-quarantine because they may have come  in close proximity to a person that tested positive for the COVID-19. This is a precautionary measure and does not mean that they have or will develop COVID-19." In other words, keep staying home, wash your hands, and don't freak out. Yes, somebody may get sick, but this is actually better news than my usual imaginings, and the action steps are still the same. Plus, I have plenty of canned low-sodium black beans and Minute Rice.

So I just took a nap.

© 2013-2020 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: