5/04/2020

Harrowing haircuts

... or Fiskars and sickles. We visited Harold Warp's Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska a few times as kids, and wandered through the huge shed of farm implements. I was a city kid in a rural state. As a mom I was great with all the types of railroad cars and different trucks, plus the dinosaurs (who mostly have different names now). I even knew my logging and construction vehicles, but I hadsome sort of block with the farm implements. Old McDonald had a tractor, EIEIO, was as far as I went.

Somewhere in my hundreds of untitled, unidentified scan files there's a classic Christmas letter my mom received from her high school friend who stayed on the farm. The friend's husband dropped the harrow on his foot, but his wife could not drive a stick shift. So the farmer had to drive himself to the hospital. When the going gets tough, the tough heave the harrow off their foot and put pedal to the metal.

One of my most vivid memories from teaching summer art programs was the girl who showed up for performance day (in August in Dallas) in her green velvet Christmas dress. She had played connect-the-dots of the mosquito bites on her legs with black Sharpie marker. And she had cut her own hair so it looked a cornfield with rows of stubble, thankfully not when I was handing our the Fiskars scissors. I have been leaning toward the same style. It's so hard to resist the Fiskars when my bangs are in my eyes. 

Thanks, Wikipedia for this image of the agricultural tool.



Brush up on your farm implements here at Toy Tractor Times.

Paintings links to click on while you are NOT cutting your hair:

"Brush Harrow" by Winslow Homer link
"Reaper" by Eastman Johnson link
Van Gogh's "Wheatfield with a Reaper" link
"The Sower" by Jean-Francois Millet for Nebraskans link
"Harvesters" by Pieter Bruegel the Elder link
Thomas Hart Benton's "Ploughing it Under" link

© 2013-2020 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Various thoughts/associations from your blog entry here:

1. Minden had the great Christmas lights in town!
2. My husband once put his hand through a glass window pane and, likewise, had to drive himself to hospital due to stickshift. I was with him, and practiced stick later!
3. Harrow is harrowing. Have you ever seen the movie, Man in the Moon, the one with Reese Witherspoon (as a little girl)?
4. Will check out all the art!
5. I found and published your comment on my blog! Thank you!