6/05/2013

Wonders of the morning mind

Sure, a lot of my early morning is spent staring at the coffee steam or out my patio window for signs of life in that mini-habitat. Today I received the gift of a hummingbird at the first blooming canna by the fence.

One morning I ventured out in my nightie and garden clogs to clean the Weber grill and chop back the mint that was getting knee high. From this I learned that googling images of insect bites and rashes WILL NOT make the itch go away.
Looking like a hood ornament.

Going out will not scare away the squash vine borers fiendishly laying their eggs on the zucchini vines. It will scare the green anole in the lime tree. The little lizard was beginning the scratching of a molt, and rubbing against the tiny limes that have set on the branches. The anoles are so entertaining, and my hopes for a crop of key limes pretty dim, that I wish I hadn't chased him away with my camera.

Ready for the big leap*
A very obsessed squirrel is digging up old acorns and moldy chinaberries. Having made it through Fire, Water, and Air in Michael Pollan's Cooked, I am now in Earth. Fermentation is an amazing thing, and Pollan has reported that some folks believe squirrels bury acorns to let them ferment and become easier to eat. Don't know about that, but I've seen some pretty tipsy birds after berry sprees.

I have not become sufficiently convinced by Pollan to try fermenting my own sauerkraut, although I have plenty of crocks used for that purpose by my ancestors:


Also in the spirit of fermentation experimentation I have tried Dale's Pale Ale, Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, and Mike's Hard Lemonade recently.

Probably time to make some breakfast. Don't think I can beat yesterday's, so I'll repeat it when I get a round to it.  Grilled avocado, cheddar, fried egg, tomato, and pepper jelly sandwich.

As I was reading the fascinating Riddle of the Labyrinth, by Margalit Fox about the deciphers of Linear B script, I kept thinking about Round Tuits. I won't spoil the mystery by telling you what this symbol means, but it is not a Round Tuit.


But you can get a model railroad car like this:

Nate's Round Tuits boxcar, Greenville, Maine.
Then you might become curious about the Katahdin Valley Railroad and whether it was real. And now I have frittered away more time googling the "Bodfish Beer" referred to in the railroad history. So let's just call it time for brunch.

* Big leap with Butch and Sundance?

© 2013 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

What a lovely morning! No hummingbirds here yet, nor lizards, but I made my daughter a vague omelet with pineapple.