7/26/2014

Hot lava for old dogs

In this summer of learning new tricks, the ceramics class has been a down-to-earth meditation each Thursday evening. I'm very sad it is over, and have to admit I'm still a Beginner. No point pretending to be Intermediate.

Thinking, of  course, of summer swim lessons in the chilly mornings at the Eastridge pool as a skinny kid. If ceramics were swimming, I could consistently float on back and front, blow bubbles, flutter kick, and tread a little water. The swimming cap with rubber flowers and chin strap, and the terry cloth swim robe only appear in this analogy peripherally to add texture to my slab and pinch pot pieces.

Applying glazes to bisque-fired pieces is volcanic trial and error. Must keep a notebook of results...



© 2014 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow! I love that volcanic result. Plus, of course, the chilly swim mornings!

seana graham said...

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, eh?

I like the colors a lot.

Collagemama said...

Thanks Seana and Kathleen.It's going to take a whole lot of practice before I can predict what a glaze will do. Zen. Letting go of the outcome. You could be right.