3/24/2015

Steely Dan goes to JoAnn's

"Then, being much troubled in mind, I said to my men, 'My friends, it is not right that one or two of us alone should know the prophecies that Circe has made me, I will therefore tell you about them, so that whether we live or die we may do so with our eyes open. First she said we were to keep clear of the Sirens, who sit and sing most beautifully in a field of flowers; but she said I might hear them myself so long as no one else did. Therefore, take me and bind me to the crosspiece half way up the mast; bind me as I stand upright, with a bond so fast that I cannot possibly break away, and lash the rope's ends to the mast itself. If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still.' 


Yup. Odysseus heard that spring siren coupon song from the fabric store. Homer didn't mention the coupon, but he spoke of the dangers we face hearing the seductive duet between polyester batting and fat quarters. Who will thread the Cyclops' needle on this epic journey? It's getting tricky with my tremor.


Perhaps if Penelope, Edith Hamilton, and I keep sewing floral patchworks we will not be sucked into the next danger, the green thumb eddy of Calloway's Nursery.



© 2013-2015 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: