5/02/2016

Blue is my world now I'm without you

Health class teachers warned us about flashbacks. They could occur at any time because of dangerous choices we might make in our adolescent years. White Rabbit... Stairway to Heaven... Truckin'... These might sneak up on us at any time in our life and we'd be sent straight to the loony bin.

I didn't expect to have a severe flashback while waiting my turn to have fabric cut in JoAnns. Nobody expects the Paul Mauriat "L'Amour Est Bleu" flashback. My mental turntable was spinning at 45 r.p.m., a floral corduroy Nehru dress was floating above my eyes. I'm sure I was on my back in a yard of mostly crabgrass and clover with a transistor radio earpiece wrapped around my ear, clutching the KLMS 1480 Superhit 1+ 48 Survey.

Factoid: Paul Mauriat's orchestra easy listening single was a number one hit in the U.S. for five weeks in early 1968, the only record by a French artist to every be #1, and the second longest instrumental behind the theme from "A Summer Place". Oh, geez, I never even warned my sons about the dangers of Percy Faith and his Orchestra! Talk about a gateway drug!!

Too much squinting at the sun and then at my watch might have been the trigger. Used the last square of cyanotype fabric in our short patch of sunshine, and rushed to order more. How would a sunprint addict make it until delivery?

Of course, by choosing blue quilt fabrics at JoAnns...







© 2013-2016 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments: