3/11/2014

I coulda gone viral

I coulda been a bird-watching you tube sensation.

The blue jay was making the strangest sound and hopping straight up and down. Bummer, I had no video camera. It was like this video at about 0.58 only funnier. Thanks to LesleytheBirdNerd for that video and this. I love the description "gurgle-bob".

I coulda had facebook users eating seeds outta my hand. No more BuzzFeed. It's time for a BirdFeed quiz. Which nature preserve bird are you?

Which bird are you?

Top to bottom, left to right:

  • Red-shouldered hawk on the Rowlett Creek Trail
  • Downy woodpecker at the old homestead
  • Red-tailed hawk at the old heron nest tree near the lake and Timber Chase
  • Gurgle-bob bluejay on the Redbud Way
  • Cedar waxwing on the Willow Springs Trail
  • American crow near the construction in the meadow
  • Junco on Old Morton Vale Road
  • Kestrel in the parking lot
  • Great blue heron in the parking lot last year
  • Black heron on the Caddo Trail in January


I coulda been a contender!

All photos taken at Oak Point Nature Preserve last weekend or in the last year. Trail map available at http://www.nttr.org/assets/map-oak-point-park.pdf  At one point I was watching a soaring red-tailed hawk, a snowy egret, and a kestrel on a light post, all at the same time.

© 2014 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kim said...

Did you watch The Big Year? Also I saw a snowy owl on a country road a few weeks ago. The highlight of my winter!

Collagemama said...

Wow! A snowy owl! How cool is that, Kim? I still haven't seen The Big Year, but it's on my list.