The blue jay was making the strangest sound and hopping straight up and down. Bummer, I had no video camera. It was like this video at about 0.58 only funnier. Thanks to LesleytheBirdNerd for that video and this. I love the description "gurgle-bob".
I coulda had facebook users eating seeds outta my hand. No more BuzzFeed. It's time for a BirdFeed quiz. Which nature preserve bird are you?
Which bird are you?
Top to bottom, left to right:
- Red-shouldered hawk on the Rowlett Creek Trail
- Downy woodpecker at the old homestead
- Red-tailed hawk at the old heron nest tree near the lake and Timber Chase
- Gurgle-bob bluejay on the Redbud Way
- Cedar waxwing on the Willow Springs Trail
- American crow near the construction in the meadow
- Junco on Old Morton Vale Road
- Kestrel in the parking lot
- Great blue heron in the parking lot last year
- Black heron on the Caddo Trail in January
I coulda been a contender!
All photos taken at Oak Point Nature Preserve last weekend or in the last year. Trail map available at http://www.nttr.org/assets/map-oak-point-park.pdf At one point I was watching a soaring red-tailed hawk, a snowy egret, and a kestrel on a light post, all at the same time.
© 2014 Nancy L. Ruder